I’ve had a pretty productive week offline last week (hence the silence on my tumblr), and this is a few fruits of my labours :)
I posted one of these earlier but now there are 3 (and more are to come!) They’re hand sawn and formed from solid sheets of copper and brass… click through here to look at them in more detail and to see how they look on in the individual listings.
More to come!
DIY Miniature Loom from Fall for DIY. This is a cheap and easy way to weave rather than macrame a small piece for jewelry, a dollhouse etc… I have a loom that my mom gave me that is full size and I had to take classes on how to use it - huge, complicated and back breaking - so I like the idea of miniature weaving.
I want to make a tiny loom but I can’t, for the life of me, figure out what you’re supposed to do with these tiny weavings. Any ideas?
I use mine as coasters :) (actually wrote up a tutorial a couple years ago for these things here)
I’ve been experimenting with making some cuffs lately… this is one of the first ones :) And who’s that cute creature in the first photo you ask? It’s (I think) an armadillo-y creature that I picked up in Mexico!
More cuffs to come :)
My painted shorts came out beautiful! I stole the idea off this blogger who painted the Martinique Beverly Hills Hotel wallpaper pattern on shorts for a charity auction and as a DIY feature for her blog. Well, I wanted a pair too!
This is regular acrylic paint with liquitex’s fabric medium mixed in. Although liquitex’s medium didn’t specify, I also set the paint with an iron since most fabric paints require that. So far I’ve worn them around the house with no problems of stiffness or cracking. Fingers crossed it stays that way, though I think it could also look kind of cool “distressed.”
This reminds me of the days I painted my chucks to customize them. Definitely a cool project, and I would totally give them a go if I could find a pair of denim shorts that actually fit well.
I spent the better part of this long weekend building with my brother what looks like a small Japanese restaurant from a kit I picked up in Tokyo. You can compare the kit picture (last photo) to what we ultimately ended up with (first 5 photos).
Even though language was a giant barrier in this process, the instructions came with pretty clear diagrams so it wasn’t too difficult to figure out all the steps. The only thing we have left to do is to make the pool out of this sparkly rubber block… which judging from the instructions involves heating it up to 80 degrees Celsius for 3 minutes. Something along those lines… (note: if you can read Japanese and wouldn’t mind helping me out, shoot me a note and I’ll send you a picture of the steps!)
Overall, I’m quite pleased with the result but if I had to change one thing, it would be the way the windows look/are constructed. The way they are currently looks a bit ‘cheap’ compared to the rest of the house… in other words, they just don’t fit. Anyway, I’m planning on building bigger miniature houses in the near future and this was a great foray into that :)